The Alisher Navoi Academic Theater is the largest theater in Southeast Asia. Its history dates back to 1929, when a professional theater was organized by amateurs of the concert and ethnographic ensemble under the direction of Mukhiddin Kori Yakubov. In 1939, the theater was renamed the Uzbek State Opera and Ballet Theater, and in March 1948 it merged with the Russian Theater and became the Alisher Navoi State Opera and Ballet Theater. For the successful development of the art of opera and ballet, in 1959 the theater was awarded the status of an academic, and in 1966 – the status of the Grand Theater.
The theater building is an architectural monument of the mid-twentieth century, and its inner courtyard is an amazing world of folk art. The author of the project is Academician Alexei Shusev. Construction on the building began in 1939 but was halted in 1942 due to wartime difficulties. By 1944, construction was resumed. In November 1945, Japanese prisoners of the Kwantung Army were sent to Tashkent and they completed the construction of the building.
The theater repertoire consists mainly of performances of world classics. It also hosts foreign performances, theater festivals, solo and national groups, performances by guests of the capital